My precious companion animal passed away.She was a daschund - she had diabetes and I knew her sugar was low but had no idea her condition would worsen so rapidly and claim her life overnight.

She was weak and stumbled around last night - drank water but kept bringing it up and when I woke this morning to find that she' d passed on, i saw she had brought up a very dark liquid that didn' t look like blood. Do you perhaps know what this was? In your opinion was it the diabetes that took her fragile life?

Dear Anon

The dark liquid is often digested blood.

Posted by: Chill | 2009-06-14

I' m sorry about your dog - you must be feeling pretty devastated.

Diabetes is not something one can ignore and hope it goes away. A diabetic coma - ie when the blood sugar drops too low - is often fatal if not addressed quickly - this applies to humans as well.

I have no idea what exactly happened to your dog - maybe the vet will be able to tell you. But it does serve as a warning to others, both for their pets and themselves and families, to take diabetes seriously!

Reply to Chill