Question
Posted by: Rama | 2008/10/16

diabetes

Im a 32 yr old type 1 diabetic woman.I' ve diabetic for 9 yrs.Im pregnant.Im currently using 2 insulins and take 64 units per day.My sugar fluctuates.It iether become too low or too high.I recently noticed that when I eat bread(brown) or carbs it rockets high.I now eat sugar free weetbix or jungle oats or soft porridge in the morning instead of bread.Then I would eat 2 slices of bread for snack with margarine or cheese for snack.When I check it after it would be aroud 12mmol.I never had a problem with bread before.Is it because of the pregnacy or what?I lost my baby in march this year and Im very worried that something might go wrong with the baby and I pray for a normal and healthy baby.It frustrate me a lot .I was just wondering if it is posible for type 1 diabetics to do pancreas transplate since their pancreas don produce insulin?

Dear Rama
At this point in time we don't do pancreas transplants for type 1 diabetes unless they have end stage renal failure - if you do a transplant you have to go on medication life long to prevent your body from rejecting the donor organ and the risks and side effects of the medication and the cost would be worse than just taking insulin!
See http://www.healthytransplant.com/index.php?q=node/73/print
Pregancy causes a relative insulin resistancy. Try to eat low GI foods and to eat regular small meals. It is best to be with a gynecologist that has experience with treatment of diabetic pregnancies. It may also be a good idea to see a dietician as you may need to change the way you eat during the pregancy.

2
Posted by: Rama | 2008/10/17

Thank you for the advice.I was not on any contraceptive for 6yrs.

Reply to Rama
Posted by: rebecca | 2008/10/17

I agree, and the risk of the transplant which is done in conjuction with a kidney seems to have a high risk and failure rate. Low GI foods are pro vita s, low gi breads, and even certain fruits. In addition to this, you should try eating oats and all bran fllakes, both are low gi and will stabilise your gucose levels, it will gradually raise you sugar levels. I found that weetbix raise my sugar levels significantly and when i do eat it, i add bran. Therefore I eat weetbix by exception only. All the best with your pregnancy and I wish that you carry this baby full term. Enjoy it and do not stare at the loss of your previous child. S/he is safe...IF I MAY ASK - WHAT CONTRACEPTIVE DID YOU USE BEFORE. ONCE I STARTED WITH IT, IT INTEFERED WITH MY GLUCOSE CONTROL.

Reply to rebecca