Question
Posted by: TAD 44 | 2008/09/10

diabetes

i used to jog about 10km three times a week. i stooped for a year and developed diabetes. when i try to jog above 8km I develop flu symptoms the folowing day. how come?

Dear TAD44
It is a know fact that athletes are more susceptible to respiratory infections when they do strenuous exercise because the exercise releases a hormone called cortisol in the body which can lower the body's resistance. One way of counteracting this is for the athlete to use sports drinks that contain readily available carbohydrate (e.g. Energade, Powerade, EnerG, etc) while exercising and afterwards. Now I presume you are no longer using such energy drinks because they are generally contraindicated in diabetes because the carbs in these drinks are so-called high-GI (glycaemic index) carbs. I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area) to assist you with: a) a diabetic diet prescription that takes your individual factors into account (age, weight, gender, type of diabetes, type of medication, amount of exercise, etc), and b) helps you work out which low-GI foods you need to eat before, during and after exercise to prevent you from developing infections.