Question
Posted by: michelle | 2009-12-09

Diabetes 2 = Pregnancy

Good Morning,

Could you please assist me, my friend is pregnant 10 weeks, and she has diabetes 2, she is on lantus,nova rapid,and hipoterm for blood pressure, what supplements can she take to help her baby? What can she do to eat healthier to help her pregnancy? What can you suggest to help? She was pregnant previously but had a miscarage on 2 months, it took her about 3 years to fall pregrant again, and she' s really worried that this might happen again!!

Thanks for taking the time to assist in this regard!!

Kind Regards

Dear Michelle
If your friend is pregnant then despite her type 2 diabetes and hypertension, she should be able to carry the baby to term PROVIDED that her blood sugar levels are VERY CAREFULLY CONTROLLED and that the doctor monitors her blood pressure very regularly. If your friend has not as yet consulted a clinical dietitian (this is absolutely essential for all diabetics and yet from what I gather on this Forum, so many diabetics never consult a dietitian), then please persuade her to see one immediately. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will have to work out an individual diet prescription for your friend that makes provision for her own needs and those of her baby and also takes the high bp and medications into account. This is unfortunately not something I can do for you over the Internet. The dr will have to check your friend's bp and also advise her about changes to her medications (increasing or decreasing the doses). With careful monitoring by a dietitian and a medical dr, your dear friend should have a successful pregnancy. Please give her my best wishes.
Holding thumbs for your friend

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2009-12-09

Dear Michelle
Holding thumbs for your friend