Posted by: Heidi Visser | 2010-04-06

Diabates 1: exercising with high blood sugar

I am a type 1 diabetic and long distance runner. Generally my control during runs is good and I always have my glucometer with me on runs exceeding 30kms as well as enough glucose and snacks. As you can guess, low blood sugar occurs more often than high blood sugars during a run, which is fairly easy to correct as I simply take some glucose and carbs. However, during Two Oceans I had EXTREMELY high blood sugars for the entire race. While I have no idea what caused it and probably never will, I would like to know what are the risks associated with exercising while my blood sugar is so high (I am talking about 17-22mmol/l)?

Heidi Visser

Doing exercise with such high blood sugar levels will put severe strain on your pancreas, liver and kidneys, as well as the delivery of energy to the neuro-muscular cells. The biggest problem is the occurence of a hyper-glycemic attack, where you can loose conciousness, experience epileptic symptoms and even death.

Posted by: Heidi Visser | 2010-04-08

Thanks for the response! Do I need to go and see my doctor so that he can check for any damage...??

Reply to Heidi Visser