Posted by: Sugar | 2009-02-05

I' ve read in a dietbook that a DHEA supplement is very helpful for weightloss. Apparantly you can only get it on prescription am I right?

Will this product work and how does it work? Is it safe to use?
I am insulin resistant, have high bloodpressure, BMI of 29, am on anti-depressants and need any help to loose weight.

Dear Sugar
I would not recommend using DHEA. A 2004 review in the American Journal of Sports Medicine concluded that "The marketing of this supplement's effectiveness far exceeds its science." Exercise and low calorie diets increases the natural formation of DHEA in the body. DHEA supplements may increase the risk of breast cancer in women.
See also