Question
Posted by: belle | 2008/06/23

DHEA

I have had 2 failed IVF's due to poor response. I have one ovary and in previous treatments haven't produced many follicles/eggs. My FS has prescribed DHEA and told me to go on it for 2 months before the next treatment. He told me to take 75mg. But i could only find 50mg. I just wanted your opinion on DHEA..what do you think of it? And if i should stay at 50mg a day or take 2 capsules and make it 100 mg a day?

thanks,
belle

Dear Belle
There is no substantial evidence to prove any major clinical benefit to using DHEA. Should the poor ovarian response be due to impending menopause or poor ovarian reserves then it is more the quality of the oocyte (egg) that will determine the success of your treatment. There is no evidence that DHEA will necessarily improve oocyte quality and actual pregnancy rates.