Posted by: Vaughn | 2009-03-26

Dextrose/Glucose Post Workout

Morning, I wonder if you could clarify something for me. I Currently do weight training as well as HIIT Training (Sprinting) to keep in shape and build muscle Training is usually 5/6 days a week. I take Whey Protein Morning and Pre-Workout. Then after either my weight training or HIIT I have a post workout shake consisting Whey ( Protein 40g), Dextrose/Glucose (60g) and creatine (5g). In your opinion would you think that taking dextrose almost every day post workout is bad for me? I dont eat sugar at all during the day and I have a healthy nutrition (eg. good fats, good complex carbs and protein for all the rest of my meals).
There is so much conflicting articles out there it is difficult to establish what is good advise and what is bad advice. Thank you Kindly

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Vaughn

I will gladly clarify the confusion for you.

There are 3 vital steps during the training regime. Fueling, Refueling & Recovery / Building.

Firstly you need to fuel your body while you are training – thus you consume a combo drink starting about 10 minutes before you train and keep on fueling every 10-15 minutes as you go – your car needs a constant supply of fuel and by giving it immediately available fuel is preserves your stored fuel. We use an energy drink with only a little protein – the protein is in its peptide form – I only know of PeptoPro – thus you could use powerade / energade + 10g PeptoPro (PP) or any other energy drink with about 35g carbs. You would obviously want high GI carbs at this stage as you need the energy immediately – thus it would not matter that it is dextrose / glucose. The manufacturers often add fructose and maltodextrine which have a low and intermediate GI respectively to offer a scenario of immediate energy, intermediate energy and slower energy.
All that you need to keep in mind is that the body needs 30-60 –85g carbs per hour of training depending on the size of the person.

Step 2 is to refuel the body after training – here we use another energy drink (about 35 carbs) with the PP.Research point to how important it is to add a little protein and superior is its action when it is in a peptide format. You can see that we have now supplied the body with 70g carbs and 20g protein.

Step 3 is within 45 minutes of completing your training then only would you need your protein drink – recommendation is to go with the 40 protein and around 12-22 carbs. You can within another 2 hours consume another such protein drink to keep on stimulating insulin which will carry the protein into the muscle where repair and building takes place.

Just one warning - it is imperative that you know how many calories your body need per day which should include your training and the energy from these steps should be calculated as part thereof otherwise you could be over consuming calories which will lead to weight gain and most probably as fat. You need about 15% extra calories for muscle gaining and no more and not more than 2,50-3 g protein per kilogram of body weight.

Hope this helps!

Take care.

Posted by: Vaughn | 2009-04-09

Thanks Vanessa :)

Reply to Vaughn