Posted by: Dean | 2010-01-22

deviated septum

I have a septum deviated to the right. I had an x-ray done about 2 years ago. My GP told me I should consider the op if my breathing does become a problem. At night, my nose does become blocked - but it is dependent on which side I sleep on. Should I get the operation done to straighten my septum?

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Dean

Most people have a deviated septum, and this causes no problems. The reason for having it straightened, would be if it is causing obstuction with breathing. Position will have an effect on your nasal opening, so depending on the side you lie on, you will have problems with breathing. If this is becoming problematic, you should consider surgery. An ENT examination should be performed to establish the degree of deviation, after which you should make your decision.