Question
Posted by: ANON | 2008/07/28

DEVESTATED

Hi doc i just found out my brother has hiv aids and im so devestated i never thought it can happen to him im so stressed and when im alone i just cry so much thinking what he is going through as im far away from me,i dont know what to do,how do i cope ,how can i be happy please help me.

Dear Anon
It is devastating to hear of someone you love getting a serious disease. However, this is not hopeless! There are thousands of people living with HIV, who have full and happy lives. He will have to make some lifestyle changes, but these days there are medicines available that can help him stay healthy for a very long time. You can cope by reading up as much as you can about HIV and AIDS. He will need your support and your advice because he will feel too emotional about this right now. First thing you need to assist him with is to try and get him to eat a healthy balanced diet. He can take something like Moducare to stimulate his immune system. If his CD4 count is very low (usually <200) he needs to see a doctor or go to a clinic to start anti-retroviral medication. He needs to go for regular check ups every 3-6 months. He needs to treat all infections like diarrhoea, lung infections etc as soon as possible. He also needs to go for screening for TB at least once yearly if he comes into contact with potential TB patients. He also needs to take precautions when having sex (using a condom) for two reasons, he can infect other people, and as we get different strains of HIV, we don't want him to be infected with another strain on top of this one.
http://www.healthinsite.net/health/HealthProfile.dll/eCareCentreDetail?fh=1529
All of the best, keep your hopes high and just give him as much love as you can.

1
Posted by: shooter | 2009/01/23

my cd4 is 636 and viral load 563 is this good or bad?

Reply to shooter