Question
Posted by: Elizabeth | 2010-10-18

Detoxification through Epsom Salts

I see on the internet you get different uses for epsom salts to detox through baths and drinking it in a certain way and many other uses that I''m not interested in now. Can you please tell me what you think of this and if you would recommend it. Thank you

Dear Elizabeth
Epsom salts or magnesium sulphate was used as a laxative for a very long time in the old days. Magnesium is an essential mineral required by our bodies for good health. However, if you take a large dose of Epsom salts it will cause diarrhoea which will make you lose water (so you may weigh less, but you won't lose any fat) and essential nutrients like potassium, sodium and magnesium, thus causing electrolyte imbalances. Detox diets and products are risky at the best of times. Last year the media splashed the news that detox diets were harmful and even deadly over all the newspapers and magazines. This was based on the reports of deaths caused by electrolyte imbalances that patients had suffered during detoxing. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and search for the article "DETOX DIETS - DO THEY WORK OR ARE THEY HARMFUL?" which I wrote to warn Readers against these practices. So this is not a practice I can recommend.
Take care

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-10-18

Dear Elizabeth
Take care