Question
Posted by: Rashieda | 2011/06/30

detox while breastfeeding

My skin has been very itchy lately all over my body. Especially my legs. I tend to scratch them open sometimes and have ugly marks on my legs that takes a while to go away. I haven''t been eating healthy lately and think that is part of the cause.

Can i take detox tablets and do a detox diet while breastfeeding?

Dear Rashieda
Most medications, including detox tablets, even if they are herbal and advertised as "safe and natural" can contain ingredients that pass into breast milk, so please don't take any product that can potentially harm your baby. I would also urge you to consult a Dermatologist ASAP about your itchy skin because this can be caused by a wide variety of factors and will certainly not react to "detoxing". It is wonderful that you are breast feeding your baby because you are giving the baby the best start in life which will ensure his or her good health for the rest of his/her life. You do need to eat a healthy balanced diet to ensure that you and your baby obtain all the vital nutrients you need for good health. Such a diet would consist of plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables (at least 5-7 portions a day), lean meat, fish (3-4 times a week) and eggs (4 per week), plus 4 cups of fat-free milk or yoghurt or cottage cheese a day (your calcium requirement is increased during breastfeeding), whole, unsifted grains and cereals (3-4 servings), legumes (cooked or canned dry beans, peas or lentils or soya) as often as possible, and poly- or monounsaturated oils or margarine (olive oil, tub marg, etc) (3 tablespoons a day). The fruit, vegetables, whole grains and legumes will ensure that you are regular and also help your liver to recover. Make sure that you drink 3 litres of liquid a day (this includes water, teas, esp rooibos, milk, and fruit juices), because your liquid requirement is increased during breastfeeding and this will help your kidneys, but don't drink more than this as excessive liquid intake is also counterproductive.
Please see that Dermatologist as fast as possible.

1

Dear Rashieda