Question
Posted by: Belly | 2010/03/22

Detox programme?

I would like to detox my body, never did it before. I am 42 years old and trying to have a smooth skin, but is not the case at the moment. I am not eating vegetables and fruit everyday. I am in the beginning stages of having cholesterol. I am planning to join the gym within a month''s time. I was admitted for depression and anxiety last year and is still on treatment and also taking B-complex, omega3/6/9, vitamin/ginseng supplements. I am getting tired very quickly, iron is low. My blood pressure is fine. The GP did different tests and everything was fine. GP also said it is because I don''t get enough sleep - am a light sleeper and have 2 kids (10yrs &  7yrs) that sleeps in my bed in the middle of the night. Please help. I am getting worried if I don''t have the energy to do things that I used to do, because my legs feels shaky, even if I walk a short distance, +- 1km. thank you.

Dear Belly
I do not think that you should detox when you are already feeling so weak because all these retox programmes are highly debilitating and should be avoided. I really don’t know why so many of my Readers feel they need to detox. Detoxing is a myth as you will see if you read my article "DETOX DIETS - DO THEY WORK OR ARE THEY HARMFUL?". Click on ‘Diet’ at the top of this page and then do a Search for the article. If your iron levels are low this could explain the tiredness and weakness. Eat iron-rich foods such as red meat, liver, fish, eggs, poultry, iron-fortified bread and breakfast cereals, and dried fruit, esp raisins with pips (chew the pips). Have a serving of orange or grapefruit juice with your breakfast cereal to make sure that you absorb the iron that has been added to the cereal. Eat balanced meals and try to get the children to sleep in their own beds at night so that you can get a good night's rest. They are old enough to sleep the whole night in their own beds now. But please don't weaken your body even more by trying to detox.
Take care

1

Dear Belly
Take care