Question
Posted by: Mandy | 2010-01-27

Detox and Angina

I suffer from Angina and want a detox plan to jump start weight loss

Dear Mandy
Detox diets are risky at the best of times and esp if you suffer with heart problems. Last year the media splashed the news that detox diets were harmful and even deadly over all the newspapers and magazines. This was based on the reports of deaths caused by electrolyte imbalances that patients had suffered during detoxing. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and search for the article "DETOX DIETS - DO THEY WORK OR ARE THEY HARMFUL?" which I wrote to warn Readers against these practices. In your case you need to be very careful not to induce electrolyte imbalances because this can cause even more heart problems. I would actually recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area) because you suffer from angina. The dietitian will have to work out a specific slimming diet for you that takes your medical condition and any medications you may be using into account.
For your own sake, please don't use a detox diet and go and see a dietitian if you want to lose weight.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-01-27

Dear Mandy