Posted by: Astro | 2009-01-29

Determined 14yr old dog

I have a 14 year old long legged fox terrier, which I have taken in from my mom. He has this very naughty habit of waking me up between 6 and 6:30 each morning asking for food. He will stand up against the bed and scratch my arm to wake me then sit and moan and whine till I feed him.

I have tried ignoring him, but he is very persistant and will carry on for at least 30 minutes- (this prevents me from sleeping as I am a very light sleeper). And he will do it every morning (when I am ignoring him, hoping he will go back to bed). He is also deaf so I cannot tell him to ' go back to bed' .

What can I do? I dont feed him immediately when I get up, I may do other chores first but sometimes I really want my sleep!

He sometimes after feeding, will still come wake me up and seems determined I must get up, but for not apparent reason to me... why?

Dear Astro

You can try to modify his behaviour by getting a DAP Diffuser and leaving this on at night where he sleeps. You can also ask your vet for some Selegian tablets. At that age this can increase the ability to concentrate and some dog will sleep better and learn better, even at that age.

Posted by: cc | 2009-01-30

why not leavesome dry dog food out for him at night?

Reply to cc
Posted by: Chill | 2009-01-29

It' s not so hard to figure out, really. He' s hungry!

Older dogs often can' t ingest as much food at one time as a younger dog, so they need to be fed smaller amounts, more frequently.

Try giving him a substantial snack at night - obviously you may end up with having to let him out, or finding a mess in the house - you' d have to experiment with the timing. I find if I feed my old dog a bit after 10 pm, he' s ok until the next morning - he also gets lunch nowadays, and a few dogbiscuits in the morning. Seems to be doing fine on that, and the total amount he eats hasn' t increased.

Obviously a routine that a dog has been in for years also plays a role - he just reckons it' s getting-up time!

Reply to Chill