Question
Posted by: DL | 2011/06/22

DESTRUCTIVE LABS

I have 5 dogs, 2 mini Schnauzers 8 &  9 years old and 3 Labradors. The male is 9 years old and 2 ''terrible twin'' sisters, both just turned 3 years old.
We live on a smallholding and have a fenced safe garden of around 2500m2 where they can play to their hearts content. Problem is, as soon as we go out over weekends, the two sisters gets terribly destructive. We feed them beforehand, make sure they have about 30 - 40 mins to do their thing outside, and then let them in. They have freedom to go everywhere in the house. And then... They eat EVERYTHING!!! From bedding, pillows, pens, TV remotes, Fragrance bottles, Medicine etc. Everything they can reach. It''s terrible!!!. When we are at home they are the sweetest things, but as soon as we leave they turn into monsters! I am scared for my dogs, as I fear I might find them dead one day from eating something they shouldn''t. They do have a little court yard where they can go out in when we are out, but still it makes no difference. It''s almost as they are giving me the finger for leaving them alone. Any help, please?

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi DL, from what you say above it sounds like the 'terrible twins' (love that!) are suffering from separation anxiety. The difference between demanding behaviour and SA is that the dog is ONLY destructive when the owner is absent. This is not something i can deal with on the forum, far too involved, so i would suggest you get hold of a canine behaviourist to assist you. i am putting up an article on this subject on my Friends website, but only for end next month - sorry - hav'nt finished it yet. Just google canine behaviour consultant and you will come to the ABC of SA site and look there. Do attend to this as soon as you can because it will only get worse. Good luck, easy to sort out but takes a lot of time and consistancy and commitment. thanks Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/06/22

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert