Question
Posted by: Boni | 2012/10/09

destructive Jact Rusell

Hi there, im a loosing my patience with my Jack Rusell, which is 8months now. it destroys anything in the garden, the plants, my sons toys and anything it can get. we have been to a vet who said its normal behaviour for him at this stage and that we should try to get it out for walks and play more often. he said there is no sign that its unhappy or stressed, and it was looking very healthy and happy. we try to take it out, but its not everyday because we come back very late from work. we are thinking of locking it up at the back during the day, there is enough space for it to move around, and let it free at night. it is just too much as our garden is messier every time because of him.

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Boni, I am afraid your vet is right! The dog is young, bored and frustrated and is also going through the adolescent stage where behaviour tends to get worse - just like a teenager.
Get the little one out for walks, provide him with lots of varied chew toys to keep him busy. Make him a digging pit (link at bottom)
Dogs are very social animals and NEED to be around their human family and if you go the route you talk about above, all that is going to happen is that the behaviour will get worse and this little one will develop more problems.
When we take on a dog we become responsible for it and mental and physical stimulation is a must and part of our responsibility. Just look at it from the point of view that is you left your son alone all day with no physical, emotional stimulation or company - what would happen? No different from what a dog needs. Thks S

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2012/10/11

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert