Question
Posted by: Sanet | 2012/05/12

Destrctive Dof

Hi,.happy yo be chatting to you again. Just not happy about my JR''s behavior. She''s almost 8 and still rips the beads from the duvet. I could still accept that, because I didn''t actually see her do that. But on Saturday night I was in the living room and geard this terrible noise. My clothes from the day befor''s ironing was lying on the bed. She was ripping off all the sequence on the neck of the top. Aggressively. Its not like she has now other toys!
I gave her a time ou outside, and she wasnt allowed in the living room after that. You wouldn''t believe me. She tried to do the vey same thing the next day!
What do I do with her?

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Sanet, nice to hear from you again! If i am correct in my understanding of what you said above, it is only when an article has beads or sequins on it that she 'attacks' it?
OK, if this is the case you can try a few things:-
1. Know that you have a problem with beads and sequins and don't have them on a duvet, on anything she can get hold off - don't leave clothes around that have beads of sequins on them i.e. management.

2. You can try and 'set up' a situation in two ways:-
leave something with beads/sequins lying around, but beforehand totally saturate them with something like Avert which you can buy from the vet - it is absolutely horrible, so it you go this route, wear gloves before you put it on. This may deter her from 'attacking' it, but it smells so vile that she may not go near it. If she does avoid it, do this to as many different articles with beads/sequins as you can find for a few days. It may break the habit, but no guarantees.

3. Again 'set up' a situation and have something like a vuvazela ready or two lids of pans to bang together. She must not be able to see you but you will need to be able to see her and the 'set up' situation. As she goes to 'attack' the beads/sequence, let rip with a huge vuvazela bellow or banging the lids as loudly as you can. The second she stops attacking - stop- the banging. If she goes to attack them again, you repeat.

This is called the startle response and what is important is that the dog does not realize that the reaction of the noise etc, came from you, - it only happens when it 'attacked' the beads. You can even do a combination of this with the Avert, as long as she is still trying to 'attack' the beads that have been saturated with it.

It really is questionable as to whether the startle response will work. It needs to be set up very carefully, happen every single time the dog attacks the beads and the dog must not associate the noise coming from you - personally, I would go the route that realize, for whatever reason, you have a dog that is determined to attack and kill beads and sequins, and just remove them from your life. Thks S

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2012/05/14

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert