Question
Posted by: Bb | 2012/08/20

Despondent

I am 1,68m tall and weigh 80kg and am still classified as overweight! I have tried numerous diets, diet pills etc and am not winning this battle. I have had to give up gym as I cannot afford to go anymore. Since stopping gym 2 years ago, I have gained back 7kg. I started my diet over 6 years ago and lost 27kg in total, only to gain the 7 back....I know it is not bad but I hate my body and now wear baggy clothes AGAIN to hide my disgusting shape!!! I have tried swimming, which hasn''t helped at all and I also find that I crave chocolates and late at night I crave bread. As a family we eat very early and by 10pm I am hungry again! Besides that, I find that I can eat a full meal (meat and veggies) and am still hungry.....I seem to be constantly hungry and could eat all day long if I don''t stop myself. Something is not kosher here! Am constantly under enormous stress at home and am unfortunately a comfort eater. I am so terrified that I will end up being morbidly obese like my late father was and therefore I am obsessed with my weight! Financially we battle so I cannot join a gym or attend weigh-less or weight-watchers .....have been down both those roads before to no avail....nor can I afford expensive diet foods!! PLEASE help me here...I am extremely desperate! I am also on 0.5mg Azor for panic attacks and have been for many years! Am at my wits end!!!!

Dear Bb
I hear what you are saying and just want to say that anyone who has managed to lose 27 kg in weight, deserves a medal! You are a ***star***. Stop beating yourself up about regaining those 7 kg - that was because you stopped exercising. Now if you can't afford a gym (which applies to many people) and swimming does not appeal to you, one of the easiest solutions to daily aerobic exercise that can do miracles for your health and weight, is going for brisk walks in the fresh air. Another easy and wonderful solution is to buy a skipping rope and to start skipping. Skipping has the advantage over walking, that you can do it any time of the day or night - for example you could skip for 10 min in the morning and 10 min at night. As you get fitter again, you can prolong how long and intensely you exercise until you are either walking really briskly for 30 min per day or skipping for 30 min a day. Once you start exercising again, you will feel more in control of your life and this could have a positive effect on your urge to eat. Cravings can be due to an inadequate intake of low-GI carbohydrates, so please read up about the use of a low-fat, low-GI (glycaemic index) diet for weight control and loss. Click on 'Diet & Nutrition' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. You can also contact the GI Foundation of SA at: www.gifoundation.com to obtain more information, including books that explain the principles of the diet. If you combine this type of low-fat, low-GI diet with daily aerobic exercise then you should lose weight and stop having cravings. Try to lose those 7 kg once more, as this would bring your weight down to the normal range.

1

Dear Bb