Question
Posted by: desperatey seeking a way out | 2011/03/21

desperatley seeking a way out

I was diagnosed with depression last May and was put on Cipralex 10mg for 6 months. It helped at the beginning but after 3 months I started to become depressed again. As a result of a low paying job I was forced to quit my job and moved back home at the end of last year. Now I have become severely depressed and through the public health system I have been put on two antidepressants 20mg lorien and 25mg of imipramine. I''ve been on the meds for almost two weeks now and there has been no change. My boyfriend of 11 years has now told me he cannot handle it and cannot be there to support me because I am ruining his life. I am not very close to my family so he was my rock. This has crushed me............. I now feel even guiltier for having a disease that I did not ask to have. I feel like I am never going to stop feeling this way. I have no one to talk to and everytime I call SADAG, I become hysterical and cannot speak. I am at my wits end..... Please help before my thoughts of suicide become a reality!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish docs would stop over-using Cipralex, especially as it is expensive, and much cheaper meds can be just as effective !
One needs to be on antidepressants for at least 2 to 3 weeks before one can get a good idea of how efective they will be, and sometimes it takes longer than that, and there are many alternatives to choose from.
Its sad that your bf has given up so quickly and easily, after 11 years together. There is absolutely no reason for you to feel guilty about having depression, which is absolutely not your fault. That's like blaming yourself for having blue eyes.
Why not arrange to attend a SADAG support group meeting ( maybe someone else can call and make the arangements for you, and even take you to the first meeting) ? I think you should soon find yourself comfortable among other people with similar problems, who will be sympathetic and understanding. If at first you don't fel like speakin, listen for a session or two, and then speak.
And read carefully the wise and kindly comments of Maria

6
Posted by: desperatley seeking a way out | 2011/03/23

Thank u so much for the advice and kind words...you have no idea how much hope it gives me.

I have contacted a support group and my first meeting is on saturday. I feel hopeful today, that things will look up.

Stay blessed!

Reply to desperatley seeking a way out

Stay blessed!

Reply to desperatley seeking a way out
Posted by: Maria | 2011/03/21

Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. I realise that life looks pretty bleak to you right now and you can see no way in which it can get better. THAT IS A LIE THAT DEPRESSION IS TELLING YOU! Don''t believe it, depression robs you of the ability to think clearly and make accurate predictions about things that will happen in your life. Apart from SADAG, find out if there is a local support group in your community, community newspapers usually lists meetings. Then go and talk to someone, let someone else help you to get over the feelings of despair. It can, and will, get better. Take care.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Maria | 2011/03/21

The meds can take up to 6 weeks to kick in, so hang in there. It is very difficult for people who have never been depressed to understand that one cannot just " snap out of it" . What a pity that your boyfriend has not gone to the trouble to educate himself about your illness. While he has let you down, that does not mean you don''t have value as a person. It tells us something about him, not you.

Before you call SADAG again, write down what you want to say. Then sit with the piece of paper when you make the call. I know that when I''m very depressed and I call someone my mind just goes blank, so maybe this will help you.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Latoya | 2011/03/21

It must be hard for you, what I can tell you now is that sunshine come after darkness, God has never promise us laughter without sorrow. No matter how hard it can be just keep telling yourself it is going to be well, start looking for a better paying job, what experience do you have? Banks and goverment don''t pay well, but you can survive with the salary until something better come your way.

I am sad to hear that you are not close to your family, normally they are the one to take off the burden, as for boyfriend I cannot comment much since I don''t have one myself, but my belief is they should share our problems, they should lift us up when we down, don''t despair, put your trust unto the Lord.

I pray that all become well with you

Reply to Latoya