Question
Posted by: desperatey seeking a way out | 2011/03/21

desperatley seeking a way out

I was diagnosed with depression last May and was put on Cipralex 10mg for 6 months. It helped at the beginning but after 3 months I started to become depressed again. As a result of a low paying job I was forced to quit my job and moved back home at the end of last year. Now I have become severely depressed and through the public health system I have been put on two antidepressants 20mg lorien and 25mg of imipramine. I''ve been on the meds for almost two weeks now and there has been no change. My boyfriend of 11 years has now told me he cannot handle it and cannot be there to support me because I am ruining his life. I am not very close to my family so he was my rock. This has crushed me............. I now feel even guiltier for having a disease that I did not ask to have. I feel like I am never going to stop feeling this way. I have no one to talk to and everytime I call SADAG, I become hysterical and cannot speak. I am at my wits end..... Please help before my thoughts of suicide become a reality!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish docs would stop over-using Cipralex, especially as it is expensive, and much cheaper meds can be just as effective !
One needs to be on antidepressants for at least 2 to 3 weeks before one can get a good idea of how efective they will be, and sometimes it takes longer than that, and there are many alternatives to choose from.
Its sad that your bf has given up so quickly and easily, after 11 years together. There is absolutely no reason for you to feel guilty about having depression, which is absolutely not your fault. That's like blaming yourself for having blue eyes.
Why not arrange to attend a SADAG support group meeting ( maybe someone else can call and make the arangements for you, and even take you to the first meeting) ? I think you should soon find yourself comfortable among other people with similar problems, who will be sympathetic and understanding. If at first you don't fel like speakin, listen for a session or two, and then speak.
And read carefully the wise and kindly comments of Maria

2