Question
Posted by: vanessa | 2008/08/09

desperately want to lose 5 kilos!

Dear diet doc
i really need your help!I recently went overseas and while there i could not afford food and so lost about 4 kilos in 2 weeks. I was really happy and confident with my new body and felt really great. however i have been back for about 4 weeks and have been on what seems like a constant binge eating and have regained most of the weight and now have lost all the confidence i previously had and have been feeling depressed and down alot and not wanting to go out with friends as a result. I weigh 55-56kg and am 164cm and am 16 years old. I really want to be 50kg because i have been on a rollercoaster with my weight for a long time and just want to reach a stage where i am confident and comfortable with my appearance-. Please give me an eating plan and advice on how to lose the 5kg in a minimum amount of time and how to prevent binge eating.

thank you :)

Dear Vanessa
Your present BMI = 20,8 which is already below the ideal of 22 for which you would need to weigh 59 kg. I can, therefore, not recommend that you lose additional weight, esp as you are still growing and need a well balanced diet to ensure that you grow normally. The fact that you lost 6 kg through starvation overseas was not good for your health and you should under no circumstances try to reduce so drastically. The reason why you ate more on your return, is the body's normal reaction to starvation. Instead of starving your body of important nutrients, start doing regular daily exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). This will firm you up and in combination with your present normal weight give you a a lovely svelte figure.
Don't force your body down to 50 kg - this is an unnatural weight for your height.
Take care