Question
Posted by: ngesto | 2011-07-26

desperately want to gain weight

I am 32 yrs lady, weigh 52kg, height 154cm with a child. I have tried everything that is around to gain weight but I failed. please help. I am taking ARV''''s (Atripla) I dont like my body at all I look terrible is there anything that I can try. I have tried milk shakes, suppliments, vitamins and nothing has worked for me, I even test my thyroid function it was normal I am really not sure what to do. Please help me with something that can help me, I had about hormonal pill that help to gain weight but I am not sure where to get them.

Dear Ngesto
With a BMI = 15,9, you are indeed severely underweight. I trust that you are under the care of a medical doctor who is prescribing your ARVs? If so please ask him/her to refer you to a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will assist you with an individual diet prescription which takes your present condition, underweight and medications into account. If you are not able to consult a dietitian, then please contact the SA Sugar Association to obtain their Booklet on 'Food Choices for People Living with HIV' from The Nutrition Department, SA Sugar Association, P O Box 700, Mount Edgecombe, 4300, or phone: (031) 508-7000, or send an e-mail to: nutrition@sasa.org.za for excellent information on diets for HIV. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'DietDoc's articles' to find the article I wrote awhile ago on "Update on HIV/AIDS & Diet". Basically HIV-patients need to eat a high-energy diet that contains plenty of proteins, but because the HIV can cause problems with certain foods, you do need to have the assistance of a dietitian to monitor how you are progressing.
Holding thumbs that you will now be able to gain some weight.

3
Posted by: hannalie | 2011-08-02

Im also 32, weighs 49kg and is 1.59 meters short, so what should I do? I am trying to get pregnant and I thing we are struggling as there of?!! I also tried supplements. And I hate to gym... What to do?

Reply to hannalie
Posted by: N | 2011-07-26

Me too, i also want to gain. i am breastfeeding some people say that''s the reason am so slim. so i will be waiting to read Dr''s reply to you Ngesto.

Reply to N
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-07-26

Dear Ngesto