Question
Posted by: Tania | 2008/05/30

desperately need help

My 7yr old daughter has been diagnosed with being 78% more stressed emotionally than other kids her age. I nursed my dad 4 2yrs, they were very close. she used 2 go sit in his empty room n just stare out the window. i talk about my dad and she is free 2 talk bout him. last yr i was diagnosed with bipolar n spent 3wks in hunters craig. divorced my husband last yr, it was hard on all of us. he has since moved back. i spent a week in hunters at the beginin of this yr. my child is being verbally bullied at school. im starting 2 feel that my parenting skills are lacking. my kids get all the love n attention that i can give.what am i doing wrong!?!

I cannot imagine how anyone could possibly make such a peculiar diagnosis of "78% more stressed" --- that's sheer nonsense. Maybe something said was misunderstood --- it's utterly impossible to be so specific. But of course a competent mental health professional could probably diagnose that a child was under emotional stress and showing signs of distress. From the sound of it, you have both been significantly stressed lately, and she may be finding things difficult. But I don't see any evidence that you're lacking in parenting skills or responsible for wehatever problems she might have --- you are a loving and caring mother, and that's, sadly, a lot more than many kids are lucky enough to have. And if she is being bullied at school, of course that's not your fault at all, and would upset any intelligent child. Is there a possibility of her seing a child shrink or counsellor ? Maybe her school can suggest someone ? And the school certainly ought to be able to stop the bullying and remove or punish the bullies, maybe move her to a better class.
Please don't blame yourself, Tania. This isn't your fault. And you are and will be part of the solution, and not part of the problem. Maybe you can also usefully discuss this with your own shrink ?

1
Posted by: Tania | 2008/05/31

Hey cyber. had her withchild sych, thats where the diagnosis cums frm. hve made an appointment 2 start play therapy. as far as the bully is concerned, the school is tryin. child has rep 4 bein unpleasant. very selfish bt her problems r nw triggerin me, hve also made app 2 c my psychiatrist. dunno who nds the help more, her or me. thx 4 ur prompt reply, appreciate it

Reply to Tania