Posted by: Elle | 2009-08-13

Desperately exasperated - puppy advice needed plz!

Anyone please ...
I recently got a puppy for my kids. We also have an older dog and the two of them get on really well. My problem is that this puppy has now decided that she wants to use the house, every carpet, every possible open space as a toilet. In the beginning we tried training her to do it outside. Often took her outside with the older dog and let them do their ' business'  on the lawn. The older dog has always been going outside and in the beginning the pup used to follow her but not anymore. Every day there are heaps of ' you know what'  to be picked up and often one first step in it before it' s noticed. Its gotten to the point now where I want to give the pup away. Both dogs are being put outside for the day now but I feel like I' m punishing the older dog as she really is old and prefers to just lie quietly inside during the day but is now outside, shivering as she gets cold very quickly. Please, someone out there must know how to get this doggie to do her stuff outside. We started smacking her with a rolled-up newspaper whenever she' s caught in the act, etc but it makes no difference.

Dear Elle

It sounds like you are leaving the puppy by itself all day. Nothing will help if you do not interact more with the puppy.

Posted by: Chill | 2009-08-13

Sorry - that' s seven million, two hundred and sixty THOUSAND websites....

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Chill | 2009-08-13

The first thing a new-puppy owner starts is housetraining. HOw to do this is the subject of countless previous posts on this forum - do an archive search - and of 7 million, two hundred and sixty websites (at first glance) via google. Do a little research - puppies don' t learn stuff by osmosis (google that too) - they are babies, and need to be taught gently what is required of them.

I think you' ll find that smacking them with anything at all, even a rolled-up newspaper, is totally pointless - all you will achieve is frightening the puppy and confusing the hell out of him.

Raising a puppy involves some work, and it appears maybe you weren' t prepared for that.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: steph | 2009-08-13

i housetrained my first dog without any problems but the 2nd one was a real problem. i eventually found some sheets of paper at a pet shop especially for housetraining. they have a pheromone on them that the puppies like and so they wee on the paper. you can slowly move this outside and the dog should be ok from there/ it is important to take the puppy outside at regular intervals so that she gets into the habit of going out, and be sure to reward her if she goes outside, another thing that worked was for me to pick up the poop and put it outside on the lawn, take thepuppy to the poop on the lawn and reward her, she soon understood that poop outside is a good thing ! Good luck !

Reply to steph

U need to take the puppy out more often. 10 minutes after she/he wakes up and after they have eaten. I bought a product at the spar called wash and get off. Whenever my puppy did her business inside and i have reprimanded her and put her outside. then you spray this stuff on. It washes the carpet as well as leaves an odour that animals dont like. I found it worked amazing she never went back to that spot again.