Question
Posted by: Cams | 2008/08/23

Desperate to fall pregnant

I was diagnosed with Pcos 4 years ago. This year June when I went for my annual ckeck up as I considered surgery to remove the pcos, my gyane told me that I had no signs of PCOS. I' m ready to have a baby and I have been trying to no avail. My dr. suggested IVF, but that is too expensive for me. Are there any supplements that I can take to help me conceive or do you have any suggestions or advice on what I can do to fall pregnant. I will be ovulation in the next few days. I' m 32 years old.

Dear Cams

If you have polycystic ovarian syndrome or even if you do not have it, the more important thing is that it sounds as if you are ovulating. I am unsure as to why your doctor suggested IVF. Are there any other problems that are present that is causing your difficulty in falling pregnant? You need to check that your husband’s sperm count is normal and you also need to check if your fallopian tubes are patent. If your husband’s semen analysis is normal and your fallopian tubes are patent then you do not need to go straight for IVF, you may try intrauterine insemination first. This procedure costs much less than IVF but it does have a lower success rate.

Answered by: Dr. Y. Dasoo