Posted by: Maudz | 2009-01-12

Desperate /stretch marks

Hi doc, I am 36years old mother, my problem is, after pregnancy I have developed dark thick stretch marks on my buttoms and down my thighs, I did try almost all creams available but none of them is helping. I was kind of excited when I saw this article about STRETCH MARKS lasers, my problem is I noticed that there is no office in South Africa. Please advise if there is any specialist around ?? I am so so desperate !!! .

12/01/ 09

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Maudz, thank you for the question.

Stretch marks (striae) appear as parallel streaks of red, thinned, glossy skin that over time become whitish and scarlike in appearance. The stretch marks may be slightly depressed and have a different texture than normal skin.
Stetch marks are caused through skin that is subjected to continuous and progressive stretching; increased stress is placed on the connective tissue due to increased size of the various parts of the body.
Stretch marks are difficult to treat with topical products only and typically one needs to consider combining a good topical regime with laser or needling.

Topical products that contain glycolic acid and vitamin A and one should add glycolic acid peels and/or microdermabrasion may produce some improvement to the appearance of the stretch marks.

Lasers, such as the pulsed dye laser - used at wavelengths of light that are non-ablative (will not remove any skin), remodels the dermis (the layer of skin just beneath the surface layer, the epidermis) by stimulating the growth of fibroblasts, cells that help produce the elastic tissues collagen and elastin.
The excimer laser, an altogether different system from the pulsed dye laser, does nothing for collagen or elastin growth. Instead, its aim is repigmentation by stimulating melanin production. If it works, the old and lighter scar is rendered similar in color to the surrounding skin, and therefore less visible.

Laser is not your only option for stretch marks as needling has shown good results with this cosmetic problem. As with laser, you will need a number of sessions of needling. Needling is a procedure that involves rolling a device that has 1mm needles that allows deep penetration of high doses of Vitamins (A, C, E and K). This causes the fibroblasts to reactivate and promotes wound healing with new cell formation. Ultimately one gets stretch mark removal, as well as other benefits to the area treated.

Please submit an new question with the area that you live in (City) and I will try find a doctor (with one of these lasers) I can refer you to.

Posted by: Derby | 2009-01-12

Im also interested in getting my strech marks removed,I stay in Edenvale.Please refer me to doctors that you know that are price reasonable desperate...

Reply to Derby