Posted by: Susan | 2012-11-29

Desperate situation

Hi. My fiance broke up with me a week ago. Its a double whammy for me. Apart from the emotional turmoil Im going through I still have a financial crisis on top of it. A few months ago I had to apply for a high interest loan to do repares when all the tiles lifted in the flat I have been renting out. If I was still living there I would not have fixed anything until I could afford to. But having been in a secure relationship engaged to be married and obviously required by my tenant, I simply had to. I explained the situation to my now ex fiance and he said he understood and would help me with a lump sum and the balance on a interest free loan. He has now gone quiet on me. What do I do? He also said I could stay in the house until January. I wont even be able to find a place in January with the situation I am in. I also have a daughter with no support from my ex husband. She has to go to school next year. How do I handle the situation?

I don't know what to say here. I don't know why your fiancee chose to break off the engagement ; and if he had encouraged you to undertake some major expenses ( if its your flat which you rent out, you should at least be getting some income back every month to off-set such expenses ) and promised to give you a sum and an interest-free loan, he should feel honour-bound to make good his promises, unless the break-up was due to something really awful you did.
Son't you really need to suggest that while he may have felt justified in ending the engagement, this leaves you in a serious predicament, and that he should sit with you and talk this through so as to clarify to what extent he might be able to help you through this transition.
And why haven'\t you taken your ex-husband to maintenance court to ensure that he pays proper maintenance for the child ?