Posted by: Fate | 2009-01-29

Desperate, Please help!

I have been ttc for 6 years now, I have done the LAPAROSCOPY 4 years ago with no success, my boyfriend has two kids which clearly shows that i am the one with a problem, my periods are normal, my BF suggested an IVF, how effective is this? I suspect that my woumb is not fit to carry a baby because every morning after sex, i produce a wilky discharge instead of a thick sperm?

Please help, I am really desperate, please refer me to any Fertility Specialist in Johannesburg.

your help is much appreciated.

Dear Fate

The decision to proceed with in-vitro fertilization will depend on a number of factors in particular, patency of the fallopian tubes and the condition of the uterus as well hormonal status. If the laparoscopy did not detect any pathology then it might be possible to achieve conception with relatively inexpensive means of treatment such as intrauterine insemination coupled with simple ovulation induction and careful monitoring. However despite the fact that your boyfriend has 2 children I would still recommend a baseline sperm analysis be done, as often, in my experience, sperm parameters fluctuate significantly and may be a lot worse than they were previously. If however the laparoscopy detects blocked tubes the certainly in-vitro fertilization would be a reasonable option.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim