Question
Posted by: Mummy | 2011-06-13

Desperate for sleep!

Please help - I take a (prescribed) sleeping pill each night, am an incredibly light sleeper - any sound wakes me up and I can''t get back to sleep. I have tried all sorts of natural remedies as well. If I don''t take a sleeping pill, I don''t get any sleep! This has been for most of my adult life (now 43) and I am now desperate.... any solutions??? Thanks!

Expert ImageSleep Expert

The problem with using sleeping pills every night is that your body gets used to them, so that if you try to come off them, for a couple of weeks you get a very bad insomnia. It does, however, settle down.

There are ways to come off the pills successfully (and, surprisingly, without too many problems), but it will need the help of a sleep doctor.

2
Posted by: Zandile | 2011-06-13

My baby sleeps very late, between 11 and 12 at night.i am always tired at work. Please help.

Reply to Zandile
Posted by: Mummy | 2011-06-13

Thanks! The reason I went on the sleeping pills initially is due to not sleeping - so even before the pills I did not sleep! Is there ''sleep training''?

Reply to Mummy