Question
Posted by: Debbie | 2011/07/19

Desperate! Dog keeps jumping over the wall

My 12yr old Labrador x Bouvier keeps jumping our walls and roaming. We had him fixed years ago and he still has this streak in him. We have a 6ft wall that he jumps over. I walked him on Sunday to make him tired, and a few hours later he jumped and was wondering about. I am at my wits end and don’ t know what I can do. Any suggestions please??

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Debbie, this can really be a difficult one to stop as the behaviour the dog is engaging in is self rewarding and it has become a habit! If you are giving the dog enough mental and physical stimulatation, providing plenty of nice varied chew toys, playing with him, supplying regular nutritional meals etc, and you are absolutely sure you have done everything on your side to ensure that the dog is receiving what he needs, then the only other way to solve this is management.
There are various methods you can use such as obsticles on the floor at where he takes off from to stop him jumping, putting wire on top of the fence with it angling inwards to stop an upward jump, fencing off a section of the garden where he can be kept when you are not at home or able to supervise him, then the final resort, which I dont personally like unless everything else has been done to prevent the dog escaping, is to get in one of the manufacturers that make dog proof fencing and they normally run a line of electric wire on the ground and when the dog passes over this, it receives a shock from a collar it wears. Like I said, not the ideal situation and I have only had to recommend this twice in the past 11 years. What I would suggest instead is to get hold of a behaviourist who will be able to highlight any areas that may be causing this problem and let them advice you on what to do, leaving the electric wire as an absolute last resort. You can have a look at www.animal-behaviour.org.za which gives a list of behaviourists country wide. If there is nobody in your area, please contact me personally and i will try to put you in touch with somebody. Thks Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/07/20

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert