Question
Posted by: Paula | 2008/09/07

Desk job - weakened shoulders

I' m a 47 year old female, I have a desk job, working on a PC for 12 years now, and my shoulders are really taking strain. I go to gym on and off but my shoulders are very weak. I sprained my left shoulder a while ago from repetiitive movement practicing my golf swing when I took up golf. I had to stop and have not been back. I also have this niggling nerve pinch in my left shoulder blade which bothers me on and off. Are there dedicated exercises I can do to improve the situation for the long-term. I am really keen to start practicing my swing again but scarred I' ll hurt my shoulder again which took months to recover.

Many thanks

Paula

Expert ImageShoulder Doc

Dear Paula,

the nerve pinch as you describe it is more than likely coming from your neck and specifically from the "facet joints" behind the vertebrae, refered down into the shoulder blade. With prolonged positions in front of the computer one's neck is in a continuous extended position loading these little sensitive joints on a repeated manner. you should make sure that your chair is high enough that you don't look "up " towards the computer screen, rather raise your chair a bit, which puts the neck into a more flexed position , which is much more kind to your neck . excersises should include stretching of the neck and then general strenghtening of the shoulder muscles but more specifically the so-called scapular setting muscles which control the shoulder blades. it would be most worthwile to visit a physiotherapist to be shown these excercises

Best regards.

Dr Joe de Beer