Question
Posted by: Michelle | 2010-01-28

Dermoid Cysts / Hormones / Pregnancy / Nuvida

For more than a year I had been noticing that my tummy was feeling more bloated than normal and felt like it was getting larger. I was also getting terrible pains some months about 2 weeks before I would get my period, I would have to take pain killers. Family was telling me I was ovulating and for me this pain seemed normal, always had terrible period pain. My cycle also seamed normal every 4 weeks.

I got married November 2008 and my husband and I decided to start trying to get pregnant. We tried for months and nothing happened. I went to the gyni in July 2009, she found a very large dermoid cyst. Had a laparotomy on the 5 August 2009 to remove the cyst. The next day after surgery I had blood test to check my hormones. My Prolactin was 90, insulin and cholesterol was a little high. Dr. said all went well with the op and that she did not remove my ovary.

Was told after my first check up that all was well and that in a few weeks we would be able to start trying to get pregnant. It has been 5 months after the op and still nothing.
Dr. has put me on insulin medication and folic acid sachets.

1. Would like to know if someone who has had cyst removed, high prolactin, insulin and cholesterol if their hormones have gone back to normal or would it be essential that I take medication for this.

2. Does anyone know about Nuvida Fertility Blend and if they recommend it?

3. If someone with my problems has taken Nuvida and has it helped.

4. Can I still take my insulin medication with this product?

Dear Michelle

If you have a dermoid cyst removed but the ovary was conserved and in addition you have another normal ovary you have a very good chance of still being able to conceive. If you have a high insulin level it is advisable that you take medication to decrease the insulin level or go on a carbohydrate controlled diet and exercise program and that will also decrease your insulin levels. It would be advisable for you to recheck your prolactin and if it is still high you will need to go on medication to reduce this too a normal level. High prolactin in the blood inhibits ovulation and therefore will prevent a pregnancy from occurring. Hormones such as prolactin and insulin can return back to normal but if it is persistently high it will need to be treated with medication. One can decrease cholesterol with a good dietary regime. I have not heard of the Nuvida fertility plan and therefore cannot comment on this.

Answered by: Dr. Y.M. Dasoo