Posted by: Sckyler | 2009-03-24

Hi doc, I have experienced an itching and small red bumps on my ring finger on my left hand.

I have been wearing an engagement ring for 5 months and then suddenly this occurrence started 2 months ago. I moved my ring to my right hand and started using a cortisone cream but kept on appearing after I stopped using it.

I was also informed that it is not good to use it for more than a week and I have been using it non-stop. The inflammation is bright red now with small white blisters and slightly itchy.

What can I use to resolve this issue once and for all or do I need to go to a dermatologist?

Dear Sckyler
Sometimes a bit of soapy water is caught under the ring, this can irritate the skin and cause a dermatitis. Let your GP have a look as you may now have a secondary fungus or bacterial infection in the area.