Question
Posted by: KARIEN | 2008/10/31

DERMAPLEX PRODUCTS

GOOD MORNING - I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF YOU HAVE ANY KNOWLEDGE OR INFO ON THIS PRODUCT. THANKS KARIEN

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Karien, thank you for the question.

I have no personal experience with this product range.

Dermaplex contains the following ingredients:
Acetly Hexapeptide 8,ormula includes several active, synergistic ingredients such as Sodium PCA, Hyaluronic Acid, Silk Amino Acids, Green and White Tea Extracts, Echinacea, Grape Seed Extract, Comfrey Extract, and Vitamins A, E, and B.

Synthetically derived peptides are used in a wide range of skin-care and makeup products, especially those claiming to have a muscle-relaxing effect similar to Botox injections. These claims typically have to do with relaxing muscle contractions when making facial expressions, thus reducing the appearance of expression lines. The company that sells acetyl hexapeptide (trade name Argireline), Centerchem (www.centerchem.com), is based in Spain. According to their Web site, “Argireline works through a unique mechanism which relaxes facial tension leading to a reduction in superficial facial lines and wrinkles with regular use. Argireline has been shown to moderate excessive catecholamines release.” The truth of this claim about the effects of topical application of Argireline is based only on information from Centerchem; there is no independent published research substantiating any use of Argireline topically on skin, as far as I know.

What concerns me about products that contain the pentapeptides is that not a lot of research in the form of double blind randomized studies has been performed nor have I seen before and after histological studies demonstrating dermal and epidermal skin changes. However, the evidence that is coming through so far, shows promise and one will most probably see some wrinkle reduction. Another concern is if the product does relax muscles with topical application how will it affect other muscles necessary for smiling, talking, etc.