Question
Posted by: Vienna | 2008/07/15

Dermabrasion

Dr. I have a lot of wrinkles around my mouth Fillers don't last
long. What do you think about Dermabrasion ? (not micro)
Also, could you please put me in touch with a Cosmetc Dermatoligist/Plastic Surgeon Thank you

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Vienna, thank you for the question.

Fillers in the upper lip area for smoker’s lines or whistling lines tend to respond well to combination treatments of Botox, fillers, and if necessary laser. Juvederm HV (NASHA filler) has FDA approval for 12 month longevity in the skin and may be considered if other fillers have been used with you in the past.

Dermabrasion is a procedure that uses a high-speed rotary wheel to scrape off the top layers of skin. Dermabrasion is appropriate for removing fine wrinkles and softening the edges of scars (including acne) and other surface irregularities to make them less noticeable. Dermabrasion can be performed on selected areas or on the entire face and it can be used in conjunction with other procedures.
Patients may expect to experience temporary tingling, burning, swelling, itching and/or redness. Crusts that form over the treated area will drop off as new skin grows underneath. Some patients develop small whiteheads.
New skin in the treated area is likely to be lighter-colored, acutely sensitive to the sun and unable to tan. These effects should gradually disappear within six to twelve months.
Risks include infection, permanent scarring and permanent abnormal skin-color changes. Some patients may develop a flare-up of skin allergies, fever blisters and/or herpes virus (cold sores).
Patients can return to work in two weeks and resume strenuous activity in four to six weeks. Redness may persist for up to three months. Patients should wait for six months to a year to return to sun exposure (with protection).
Following from the above my advice is not to consider dermabrasion but look at less risky options such as skin rejuvenation and wrinkle removal with laser (Syneron emax, Fraxel, etc.).

Your best approach in finding a plastic surgeon is to search the SA plastic surgery association web page: http://www.plasticsurgeons.co.za.