Question
Posted by: Sarah | 2010/10/07

Derma Roller

Hello doc,

I have some acne scarring on my cheeks and thus far I have had 2 lazer geneis prcedures done and I had a derma roller procedure done last Monday. However I cannot see any improvement. Is this an effective means of assisting with the minimising of the scars (they arent too bad but still noticable)

Pls advise

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Sarah, thank you for the question.

Most studies that have been performed with the technology used in the Laser Genesis machine (manufactured by Cutera and a Short-Pulsed 1064-nm Nd:YAG Laser is used) and a pilot study using the Laser Genesis technology shows an improvement of moderate to severe acne scarring between 9% and 45% (average of around 30% improvement).

A total of 5 sessions are usually required to achieve these improvements. Please remember that wrinkle improvement of around 30% is not usually visible to the naked eye.

The gold standard for acne scarring treatment is to use fractional ablative technology using a CO2 laser (Fraxel, Ultra Pulse FX, etc.). Recently good results (greater than 50%) have been achieved with a relatively new technology using bi polar radiofrequency – Matrix RF or Sublative Rejuvenation in particular the high density tip technology.
In all of these technology based treatments one is looking at a minimum of 3 sessions 4 to 6 weeks apart and typically even as many as 5 to 6 sessions are required for the more severe acne scarring.

1
Posted by: anti-ageing expert | 2010/10/12

Hi Sarah, thank you for the question.

Reply to anti-ageing expert