Question
Posted by: DeeDee | 2010/01/06

Depserate plea from a pear

I have the ' pear shaped'  body and I hate it. I' m tired of being told to embrace my curves  I would if they were firm which is why I' m here:How do I tone my bum and thighs? I exercise (run and gym) but obviously not the right way as I always end up with a flat stomach and toned arms which only accentuates my saddle bags. I' ve dieted (no crash dieting, only healthy lifestyle) which has resulted in my family thinking I have an eating disorder as my ribs start to stick out. I am very frustrated! I am 5 foot 2 and petite, and have accepted I will never have the size 8 bottom to go with my size 8 top  all I want is to tone the bottom so I don t look like my top half has been stuck onto the bottom of a couch potatoe.
Thanks!

Hi DeeDee

A big part of this is genetics, I have to say. I don't want to throw out the patronizing line of embrace your curves, but the fact that you exercise and see those changes suggests that you're genetically "programmed" to store fat in certain areas only.

The only thing I can suggest is that you look at a sport like cycling, which may help target the muscles better, but still provides the cardio that you need. That may have some effect, and then the rest is up to diet. I don't know what you've done, but again here, it's very difficult to lose weight when you're not actually overweight, and so diet may have a small effect. Perhaps it helps a little, it's worth looking into.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/01/15

Hi DeeDee

Reply to fitnessdoc