Question
Posted by: Colin | 2012/06/08

depro meds

Hi there, hope u can tell me abit more about this. My brother is on anti-depressants for anxiety(mostly). He also drinks a single grandpa powder each day. However, now he is concerned about his liver(too much meds). So what he does is skip his dose of AD one day, and drink a grandpa only, alternating every time like this. I see his anxiety is slowly returning. He doesn''t and thinks he may even leave the AD''s someday. Maybe if he reads this he''ll listen to me. Thankyou

The antidepressants are not likely to harm his liver, and unless taken at the right dose each day, won't be of any use for the depression or anxiety. I'd be a great deal more worried about why he feels he has to take a grandpa powder every day. ALL of these over-the-counter pain pills say in the instruction leaflet that they should NOT be taken for more than a week or so without seeing the doctor - its essential to get a proper diagnosis for why he has continuing pain, and treat the cause, not just the symptom.
Also, pwoplw get hooked on them, and that is a real risk, as well as a range of potential physical damages caused by taking them for too long.
They contain caffeine, which could exagerate his anxiety symptoms. And they contain Paracetamol which, in too high a dose, can cause liver damage.
So, he neds to see at least a really good GP for a physical checkup to find out why he has chronic pain. He should see a shrink for advice and help with the anxiety problems, and the shrink can also help if he is becoming dependent on the Grandpa, so that he is feeling woried and anxious if he doesnt take them every day

1