Question
Posted by: Adoons | 2011/07/24

Depro dog

Hey, my boxer was resently poisen with rat poisen but since then my GSD seems depro. He didn''t want to go outside, he is scared of sound. If he is by chance outside and saw someone near our fence he will bark but the moment that person is gone its as if he realise he is alone.
We do treat him as the Alpha dog and before he never had a problem staying outside. He is also not alone as I do have another GSD female

What can I do to help him?

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Adoons, it sounds like your GSD has been affected as a result of the incident and is now rather fearful. Did the Boxer recover? - this will have an impact on the behaviour. Also, if the dog was poisoned in the garden, your own fear reaction of the possibility that this may happen again, will impcat on the dog. Sorry, but without knowing full background, rather difficult!
I would really suggest that you bring in House Rules to raise you and family up in combined human/canine hierarchy to make the dog feel more secure and that you are in charge. We, as their 'people' are the Alpha's, not the dog. think of it, it is us that supplies all the resources, so this is our position. I have put in a link to an article on this site which will help you in this regard at the bottom.
Additionally, I would suggest you contact somebody that does TTouch. The TTouch works at a cellular level and seems to help a dog get over fears very quickly and easily. You can find somebody near you via their site on www.ttouch.co.za. or get in touch with me via e-mail and I will put you in touch with somebody near you.
Also, dont force the dog to do anything he doesnt want to do as this will just make him more fearful. Rather go about it slowly and use his food to help him overcome areas he is scared off, such as the door, by tossing a few pieces of his food close to the door, and when he is eating them happily there, then toss a few more peices just outside the door, gradually working up that he will go in and out the door with no problem. this is to be done slowly and only progress when the dog is more confident. Thanks Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/07/25

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert