Posted by: Kasandra | 2012-08-31

Hi Cybie
Things went so well for awhile then I struggled so much with breastfeeding and was adviced to stop but carried on till recently, that combined with the traumatic birth of my baby came back to haunt me.

I started drifting into a dark space and felt the depression creeping in, I went to see my Dr and stopped breastfeeding she also put me on fluanxol, been on it for about 2 weeks and feeling better!

Starting work on monday and think this will also be good for me getting out and back into a routine, hard to leave my little one at creche but also coming to terms with the fact that I am doing this to provide for her.

Don''t know if I should keep drinking fluanxol or not, my brain feel such a mess?

Breast-feeding can be good for a child but NOT good enopugh to justify a mother struggling to do so, as the alternatives do no real harm. There are 2 possible problems following childbirth. There is PND, Post-Natal Depression, especially if one has a prior history of depression, and it always needs more specific antidepressant treatment than Fluanxol, which is insufficient for a real Depression. There is also the even m ore common Baby Blues, a milder though still unpleasant blues following birth, where family and other support and something like Fluanxol may be helpful.
I'd always prefer the results of an assessment from a psychiatrist to that of a GP when there is any question about diagnosis or treatment