Question
Posted by: Sally | 2011/01/21

depression/medication and memory loss

Can depression or the anti-depressants cause memory loss? I have such a bad memory. I''m talking long term memory. I would remember that a had a holiday at the sea say 2 years ago - but can''t recall any detail regarding the holiday. And it is like this a lot. When my family talk about things that happened - i''m like - yeah - i think i remember something like that! It is terrible... Any suggestions?

It may be usful to distinguish between "memory loss" - having something previously stored in memory and recoverable, but now inaccessable and not practical to recall ; and memory problems in thish due to depression and distraction, and concentrating poorly, some stuff doesn't get recorded properly in memory in the first place. Its the difference betwen your computer losing temporarily the ability to save files, and not having the ability to find them easily. temporarily
Another thing I find quite common is that one can panic about actually normal memory - mosty of us, depressed or not, and on any medication or none, can't recall details of many details of the past, which at the time were not important enough to have been tagged for special remembrance.

4

Posted by: Liza | 2011/01/21

My memory is worse when I''m depressed. I''m always on ad''s, and when I''m feeling normal, I don''t have memory problems. As soon as my mood goes down however, I find it much harder to remember shortterm and longterm things.

Reply to Liza
Posted by: Sara | 2011/01/21

Not sure if its the depression or medication but same with me.

Reply to Sara
Posted by: liz | 2011/01/21

OMG! I i have the same problem....

Reply to liz