Question
Posted by: Ray | 2011/11/01

Depression,anxiety,OCD,chemical imbalance

Good Day Professor Simpson
I hope you are well. Well, i will cut straight to the chase. My life has been turned inside out by depression,anxiety,OCD,chemical imbalance. i really dont know what to call it anymore. i have been suffering for a very long time.....i am emotionally numb everyday,i dont ever feel happy or whole. i get up everyday feeling this way, nothing excites me not even my partner, i dont feel anything mutual towards her. when she wants to hold me or even kiss me and look for affection i am very withdrawn and cant give her anything back. it''s like my emotions are locked up deep inside of me. my anxiety is high everyday i really dont feel like being around if this is going to persist. the one thing that i want is to fall in love with her,i have been seeing her for over 4 yrs now and have not really felt that connection and love,it''s like she is not even there. this buries me even further in my condition and worsens it. small things get to me and make me upset like seeing other couples in love and seeing the affection between them. i cannot even get intimate with my partner because i dont feel the desire although we try but i am just fooling myself at the end of the day. i wish i could write to you about everything that i go through but that would be a novel. i really dont know what to do in this black hole, please help and advise.

Well, whatever one calls it, it must be unpleasant and distressing. What is missing from your message ( maybe you're saving it for the novel ? ) is any reference to actual expert advice and treatment. I would hope that you have already seen ( and if this has been unsuccessful, seek a second opinion ) a good local psychiatrist, for a full assesment and a discussion of treatment options. Chronic or complex problems of this sort are beyond the capacity of a GP.
After a good diagnosis, to clarify what is not working properly, and an exploration of what ways are available to effectively help it, there should be no reason for you to remain this way in the long-term. But be assertive in getting the best available advice and assistance

1