Posted by: ZzZ | 2009-03-03

Depression ZzZ

Hi Doc,

Two weeks ago I tried to commit suicide. I' ve since been diagnosed with depression and the doctor prescribed Depramil 20mg.

I tried to commit suicide a year ago too.

Is it possible for depression to come and go away or was it always there and I just didn' t know it?

I would also like to know if there' s any long term side effects being on Depramil?
The doctor did try to explain to me how depression work and why people get it.

I also want to know where I can find a psychologist or counsellor? I don' t have a medical aid or finances to pay a psychologist R500 per session.

I'm really pleased to hear you have survived the suicide attempts, and hope you won't try it again --- i's nice to have you around. Depression can indeed come and go. Completely without treatment, an episode of Depression tends to last around 9 months or so, and in many of us there are other episodes. With proper treatment it may be less likely to return, and to be less long and unpleasant when it's present. All antidepressants, like almost all drugs, have some side-effects, but including Depmil, they don't have particular lill-effects when used long-term. You can try asking the Anxiety-Depression support group and Lifeline ( numbers on this page ) and FAMSA, to check on the potential availability of more economical psychotherapy and counselling for you, near where you are.