Question
Posted by: Lou | 2012/08/27

Depression vs Panic Disorder

Dear CS, can you explain why panic disorder is associated with depression?

I suffer with panic disorder but I really would not consider myself to be depressed. My life is wonderful in fact. Everything is in place. I just cannot see the connection at all.

When I have a panic attack its like my adrenal gland is working overtime. Isnt there any medication just to calm it down without taking anti depressants?

I get the panicky feeling that I've answered just this questions in the last week. There is absolutely NO compulsory association bertween panic disorder and depression. They do quite often turn up together, but so do depression and ingrown toenails.
The only treatment worth considering for anything, is treatment that works. And for panic disorder, only two types of treatment have been shown to work : CBT counselling, and the sort of drugs called anidepressants. They are called antidepressants only because that's what they were first used for, but they are drugs correcting chemical imbalances in the brain, in ways that apart from being often useful in Depression, are also useful in Panic Disorder, Phobias, and other anxiety disorders, too. And even in many chronic pain problems.
Using an "antidepressant" doesn't mean you are depressed, only that you are using a medication effective in depression and a host of other conditions.
Medication "just to calm it down" is NOT ever a good idea as the sole treatment, as this doesn't get to the bottom of the problem, and such tranquillizers can cause dependency, and getting hooked on them is not a great idea. Sometimes such meds may be used TEMPORARILY as PART of a larger treatment plan by an expert psychiatrist

1