Question
Posted by: Ronel | 2010/02/08

depression vs burnout

Please explain to me the difference between depression and burnout. My GP diagnosed me with major depression 7 months ago - i' m on Lexamil 10mg for the past 7 months. It took a while for me to get better and i feel okay. I also gained weight. My mom has been diagnosed with burnout 2 weeks ago and her doc prescribed Lorien to her. It' s also an AD. What is the difference. I thought that burnout is one of the symtoms of AD. My mom says burnout is something else.

Depression is a proper diagnosis, made according to internationally recognized criteria, whose chemistry is at least partly understood, and where there is good research showing which treatments work.
"Burnout" is a lay term, without a reliable diagnosis, and without much evidence on how best to treat it, if it exists.
YOu do not treat burnout with an AD - they are only useful in Depression and a few other conditions. Most of them can also be useful in anxiety disorders, which might also get labelled Burnout.
Technically, "burnout" was originally described in doctors, nurses, and other helping professions, when they grew disillusioned and unable to care for others, due to chronic stress.

1