Question

Depression treated with illovex

Please can you tell me if illovex is safe for a premenopausal, professional woman to take. The side effects listed on the insert worry me. In the past ciprolex has been prescribed but I understand this acts differently. Could you advise please.

I gather Illovex is a generic form of Venlafaxine, first sold as Effexor, and antidepressant I don't like, but some doctors do. One of the things I don't like about it, apart from some excessive claims that were made at the time of its launch, is its side-effects, especially the potential in some doses, for increasing high blood pressure. I am not convinced from the evidence I have seen of ANY advantages for using it ( and I'd never accept it from a GP ) - except perhaps when recommended by a specialis psychiatrist after a full assessment of your state and history, it might be used when other treatments havent fully succeeded. I don't see any specific reason why it would be any more problematic if one were postmenopausal.
Yes, Ciprolex works in rather different ways - but there are a great many alternative antidepressants to choose from ; I just wouldn't, myself, choose that one. If you are seeing a GP, do rather ask to see a good local psychiatrist for a review. If this drug has been recommended by a psychiatrist, ask to discuss your concerns and hear his/her explanations of why this particular drug would be a better choice for you than all the available alternatives.

2

Thank you so much for that advise. I will certainly question the gp further before proceeding.