Posted by: Adéle | 2009-03-31

Depression - St John's Wort

I lost my mother about 10 months ago and am struggling to come to grips with it. I am very emotional and am battling with my moods (get agitated rather quickly). A friend suggested that I try St John's Wort - please give me your opinion/suggestion on this.

I have no illnesses etc.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Adele
St Johns wort is a herb that works for mild depression. Do the depression test on to see how bad your depression/anxiety is, and if more than mild, you should see a doctor for a prescription medication. You can not take St Johns wort with other antidepressants, HIV medications, Warfarin, anti-epileptics. It may reduce the efficacy of contraceptive pills, causing breakthrough bleeds and unintended pregnancies.