Question
Posted by: Anon | 2010-08-28

Depression - rights in workplace?

I was diagnosed 3yrs ago with major depression, generalized anxiety &  EDNOS. My co has been supportive and lenient as i have always been a loyal worker until then. I take my job seriously and try my best but as you know depression/anxiety is a rollercoaster of emotions. The only time i allow it to affect my work is when i am absent from work as i become paralyzed with fear to leave the house. I am concerned about my position at work as i try to not let my it interfere with productivity but at times concentrating and focussing becomes very difficult. What are my rights as i am afraid of losing my job?

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

re: Depression - rights in workplace

In terms of the Code of Good Practice - Dismissal of the Labour Relations Act, the employer is certainly able to dismiss if they believe that the ill health is ongoing and has affected the work greatly. It does however sound that your depression is haphazard and certainly at times does not affect your work. It is suggest that you speak to the Human Resources Practitioners to share the problems with them.