Question
Posted by: Piet | 2010/05/25

Depression or not

Hi Doc,

I see my self as a normal person, but about once every 2 weeks sometimes 3 weeks i get a sudden onset of anxiety and depression it normally last for a day and then gets better the next by the second or third day it''s normally gone. What can the problem be, my wife doesnt understand me when it happens, i get all paranoid and start to worry about things that happend in the past that normally don''t worry me. It''s very exhausting for me physical and emosionally.

i just recon if it was depression i would be like that the whole time. please help

Well, Piet, everyone who gets depressed is normal. What you're describing sounds a bit more unusual, though. Depression usually comes on more gradually and lasts longer. A shorter episode, slearing up after a few days, every 2-3 weeks, is unusual. The content of these episodes sound like depression, but the pattern isn't quite typical. Is there something in your life that changes at these intervals, that could be part of the explanation of the timing of them ?
best bet, would be or a normal guy like you to see a good local psychiatrist for a proper in-person assessment, to see what can be identified, and then to discuss how it could be remedied

1